Monday, August 22, 2011

Jazz Age Lawn Party

Photobucket

Sunday I went to the Jazz Age Lawn Party on Governor's Island, and it was amazing! I had plans to make it a big lady fest and have a bunch of girly friends, but in the end it was just the ever so lovely Alley O'Shea. And I could not have asked for a better companion, she's such a great vintage dresser, super funny and full of conversation. I think most of the day we talked about crazy ex boyfriends and the type of people we were in high school.. definitely not the same people we are today, ha!

Sunday was the second day of the lawn party, and from what Alley told me, the super less crowded day (she was there the day before too for her job at Stylelikeu) where the lines for drinkes weren't an hour long. And thank the gods, cause Alley had this drinks all day pass thing, and it allowed her to get us both drinks all day! Mostly we just lounged on our blanket, walked around and did some dancing. Rain was in the forecast for the afternoon, but luckily it held out for most of the day. But not long enough, the photos of me on the dance floor is literally right before it started down pouring! Everyone started running for shelter. We went to grab our blanket, and run for cover in a near by building, as you can see below. Also notice in the post rain photos my dress is about 3 inches shorter from the rain! I don't know if it is going to stay that way, but I don't mind all too much.

Speaking of this dress, isn't it just amazing!? I got it at a private estate sale showing on long island about two years ago. I was looking around on craigslist for estate sales and I came across a family owned farm on the island where they had their house on one side of the street, and their farm on the other. The granddaughter and her mother were putting on a tag sale in a few weeks, but doing private showings by appointment before then. So I had the whole house to myself, and this was just one of the amazing things I got that day. It has been hanging in my closet since then, with nothing fancy enough to wear it to. I felt this was the perfect time, and the hat I got on etsy a few months back pretty much with this event in mind. Hannah, although she could not make it that day, was nice enough to do my hair for me!

Photobucket
Alley getting down on the dance floor with a friend.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Why yes, this is a bad photo of Bill Cunningham!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Cute girl
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Waiting out the rain with other soggy party goers.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
..Notice the difference in hem length..
Photobucket

3 comments:

Crystal Lee said...

You look marvelous in that dress! I love, love, love it. The Jazz Age Lawn Party looks like so much fun, definitely something I would want to do if I lived in NY.

Emma Lavelle said...

I have always wanted to go to this! it looks awesome, you both look the part xx

hannah, heart city said...

oh what fun! both you and alley look gorgeous in your fancy dresses!